Monday 31 October 2011

Literacies across Media

I don't think I was very surprised with Margaret Mackey's findings in this chapter, although the link she drew between interest and accessibility was interesting. I have to admit that I had particularly enjoyed the responses to Anne of Green Gables. Having never gotten in to it myself, to this day, because of language (and, I'm sorry, lameness), their thoughts resonated with me. Perhaps that is a signal to librarians to be aware of these types of barriers for the average young reader. I also found it very interesting how she observes that there is a link between familiarity and an increased chance of enjoying the novel or game. I actually saw a comic based things customers say in a comic book store, and remember reading one mother saying her child experienced less anxiety reading if he knew the movie and/or how it ended already.

Her observations on fluency and ability to decode a text as important were also interesting. I feel most people prefer not to struggle with reading words on a page or mastering the commands of a video game. Still, I found her ideas about different types of literacy, or what I came to think of it as understanding concepts through different media (i.e. book, film, CD-ROM)

No comments:

Post a Comment