Monday 26 September 2011

Reader's Advisory Services for Teens

Unfortunately, I will not have the opportunity to take the RA course before I leave the program. If I work in a public library, it seems like one of the more stressful jobs, because I think I would feel terrible if I suggested a book someone didn't like. I found that  Heather Booth's article this week was quite interesting because she emphasises the importance of teen RA to keep them reading and in the library.

Reading about proxy RA made me think that parents and/or caregivers could indeed be very valuable in bringing teens materials they may enjoy. However, I couldn't help but wonder if in certain circumstances, it could have the reverse effect. For example, if parents insist on a book or genre their son or daughter is simply not interested in, then the librarian is essentially unable to effectively help a potential patron. Frankly, I found the idea of proxy RA overwhelming -- it is a process that can be simplified just by having the teen there with their parents. To me, that seems like the most productive RA interview if parents are interested in finding fiction that will interest their child. Also, I liked the idea of having email exchanges with teens if it is true they cannot come in to the library.

As I read Booth's article, I had a sneaking suspicion that one too many parents have brought home "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens" -- and that's a deal-breaker. In my opinion, proxy RA has to have at least some input from the teens themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment