Tuesday 20 September 2011

The Outsiders: A YA Nostalgic Classic

I haven't read The Outsiders since grade 8, although I distinctly remember enjoying it very much.

Although the book was published in 1967, many themes of the book remain relevant to teens today, although social interactions have obviously undergone massive change with the rise of technological forms of communication. One theme that I feel stands out as very relevant is that of belonging and, along with it, conformity. Throughout the novel, Ponyboy grapples with being part of the greaser brotherhood, which contradicts his tendency towards academic pursuits and self-reflective character. For the most part, teens struggle with coming to terms with different parts of their identities, trying to mesh themselves together to eventually be confortable with themselves. (Though, I'm not really sure this ever happens.)

Social class is also something that I found interesting in the novel. Perhaps because I'm a dirty pinko, seeing what can only be described as class warfare between high school kids was fascinating, as I don't think much has changed. At least in my experience, rich kids and poor kids typically didn't associate with one another. In the same vein, bullying makes up a big part of the novel which is still regrettably prevalent in schools.

The Outsiders may lose touch with younger readers, if only for the (hilarious) dated slang. Although the slang hasn't necessarily aged well, it gives an accurate depiction of how young'uns talked at the time. For me, it adds authenticity to the novel as a whole. (Although, all of Hinton's  characters are impossibly and painfully attractive at a profoundly awkward age, which I simply cannot identify with, as I cringe at the thought of my teenage appearance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment